Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thoughts on Education

Today I have been thinking about education. I have had two children graduate from the public school system and one with two years to go. The problems I have had have been varied but most of it has to do with philosophy.

1. There has been a dumbing down of education -- lowered standards and less of a push for competition for good grades have hurt education over the years. I think this is particularly true for boys. Boys are naturally competitive but that has been downplayed or taught that they should relax more. Unfortunately this is reflected in lower scores for boys as a whole. In short a drive for competitive excellence has been watered down.

2. ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)has become a big thing with the use of drugs to control children instead of discipline and teaching self-discipline. The majority of ADD diagnosis seem to be boys again -- makes me wonder if ADD is a legit disease or simple a female reaction to the male drive and activity of boys.

3. Getting in touch with ones' feelings have replaced the idea of thinking things through and calmly. This has resulted in a teaching style that is more conscious about a persons desires than their reality. Results in a lot of emotional decisions and emotions very often do not make good choices.

4. On moral issues the educational establishment has decided to use cover up programs than actually dealing with the problem. Now given that most kids are not familiar with the Judeo-Christian in schools it may be a good thing that some of these programs do what they do. In the end; however, they are not addressing the real issues of young people's decision making processes.

5. Over the years I have watch an growing anti-Christian bigotry (I call it what it is) in the public schools. Many religions outside Christianity are given a fair shake or allowed to be heard as far as their worldview and ethics in the public school, but Christianity has all but been told to go away. I am not against other religions being present, but Christianity should also be allowed to speak. In fact, I think this is the only way to avid violating the first amendment -- let every public forum and organization be open to any speech including all religious speech. When the public schools gag the Christians they are violating this amendment and the idea of free speech.

I think in the end,education has been on of those areas where liberals have concentrated their efforts for good reason. Between this, the media and politics they have done a good job in controlling the debate and ideas presented and taught. This needs to change the other way by conservatives getting involved in all these areas.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completley dad, that is a huge problem these days. Hopefully when I am a teacher I can do my best to change that as much as possible. Some of my best teachers were the conservatives.

    ReplyDelete