Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fasting, Bodybuilding and Fitness


Ronnie Coleman above -- former Mr. Olympia
One of the things I have been considering is how one can fast and still be engaged in bodybuilding style fitness.
Bodybuilding requires a high level nutrition -- protein, carbs at a certain level, water (lots) and supplements. Fasting devastates a bodybuilders body. Without fat to burn, the energy comes from the muscle and other organs rather than fat. The very thing your trying to build begins to shrink. Not good.

One thing to consider, bodybuilding's strict nutrition requirements are so stringent it might be considered a form of fasting -- Daniel type -- lentils (protein) and pulse (veggies) with water. Bodybuilders restrict themselves constantly in a very similar fashion.

For myself the issue is one of balancing religious practice and staying fit. it is also a question of whether or not to ratchet my own fitness training up and still maintaining a practice I have found helpful in my spiritual walk -- fasting.

If I begin to look at the nutrition requirements as a form of fasting I could be looking at killing two birds with one stone. Joining things together this way begins to let you see how God has made us a a single being.

1 comment:

  1. Wow -- a lot of questions. Do you mind if I take them one at a time in a series?

    ReplyDelete