Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Rabyd Theologian Looks at the Constitution -- Part 6 -- 'Provide for the Common Defense'

National Defense has always been a big issue for me because a lot of people think as a person of the cloth I should be pacifist or something. I will say this I do not like war. War as I have experienced it from the sidelines is not a good thing. I often hold mother's hands as they watch their sons go fight for their country. The stress is enough to drive the best of us mad and I can absolutely say I do not understand what soldiers go through but I respect them with the highest respect.


Bottom line, I am not a pacifist. War is a part of the Bible from almost the beginning. The people of God found themselves at war from The Law under Moses to the very end when Jerusalem was destroyed. Many times it was the direction of God that they were at war. I am not a pacifist because God and I might add Jesus were not a pacifists.

That said, I understand the need that drove the founding fathers to put this line in as well. A nation that does not have the means or desire to defend itself will not exist for long. We live in a world where everyone is not so nice.

Under that Articles of Confederation 'common defense' really did not exist. There were a lot of states who had their own militias but the Continental Army was a problem. In the end one of the founding fathers chief concerns was to address this problem.

The constitution not only allows for the maintenance of the military -- it requires it. Later when the Bill of Rights was created, there was a need to affirm the militias as well. Thus the Second Amendment that allows any citizen to bear arms and keep them without infringement. Every citizen is constitutional empowered defend this nation if necessary because it is --"We the People"

No comments:

Post a Comment