Sunday, September 27, 2009

Preparing for Ministry

Normally I write my Sunday post after church but today I am writing it in the middle of the night before. Why? Because this is about preparation to minister.

Ministry is like much else, a large part of success is in the preparation. My sermons are in large part about preparation but any type of ministry requires preparation. Basically good ministry preparation is boiled down to three elements.

1. Prayer -- there is no substitute for prayer in our need for guidance as to what to and how to minister. It should dominate every phase of preparation. As an example, when I am preparing to preach a passage, I pray before I look at it, i pray as I am looking at it and once I am finished I pray over it again. Then I pray that God will make it effective.

2. Study -- If there is one thing that I cannot stand it is laziness in looking at the Word when your going to minister it. Know what it says, what it means and how it applies.

3. Organization -- Every been in a sermon and the preacher is just giving out one random thought after another with no connections? Show me such a preacher and I will show you someone who is not organized. He simple did not get his thoughts together and organize them.

This can apply to any ministry. In some cases you have to modify based on a multitude of factor but this is basically a good way to have something to say that actually touches lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment