Sunday, September 6, 2009

Ministry and Politics -- Uneasy combination?

Fellowship after church today involved a political conversation regarding conservative values verses liberal values. Liberals loose in my church every time. Nature of the beast around here -- people are very conservative.

There is a school of thought that says that religious people and leaders should not be involved in politics. I break that rule away from the pulpit. I have run for School Board and I speak freely of political issues. I make no secret of my disdain for the direction Barack Obama is taking this country and how he has a contempt for his own country. I try to be considerate but firm in my own convictions.

In the pulpit, my politics takes a back seat. I concern myself only with the politics of the kingdom of God. Issues come up and I attempt to provide a Biblical answer. From the pulpit I can still be conservative in ethics but I do not mention politics. The issue is God not me and my beliefs.

There is a balance I try to maintain, but the real problem is not to be unpolitical. The trick is to be political in the right places.

No comments:

Post a Comment