Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ministry and Fitness

Let's ask a question: What does the typical minister look like these days? Overweight -- Probably. What is the leading cause of death for ministers -- cardiovascular disease do to poor health. It is that sit behind a desk and sitting down at a potluck lifestyle that gets us.

Over the years, I have endeavored with some measured success to be fit and healthy. For me, it has usually involved weights and the bodybuilding style has always intrigued me. Not that i would ever compete as seeing your pastor up on a platform wearing nothing but a bikini bottom might generate some discussions in the board room. But the fact is these guys and gals look great, feel great and live a long time in relatively good health.

Over the last month I have been renewing my commitment to bodybuilding to the point of trying to make a lifestyle change. My hope is not to just get the fat off my body but keep it off. Ministry is one of my chief motivators because if I am healthy and live longer I can touch more people. I have some pretty simple but specific goals and this time i got help in the form of bodybuilding.com. Why? because going to their site each day to report my progress keeps good accountability.

Oh, for the last month I have been both lifting and doing some stationary bike and I have lost 27 lbs. I feel better as well. As I became a third shift person the need to be healthy became foremost as you have to feel well to work Saturday Night then preach in the morning on Sunday. It can take a lot out of you if you are not in shape. I wouldn't made it through this weekend without the new effort.

1. Have a plan
2. Do the diet and fitness parts both.
3. Stay accountable to someone.

Hopefully this will be a recipe for success and then I will both look and feel even better than now.

No comments:

Post a Comment