Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Justin!!!

Today is one day that I will pause to say Happy Birthday to my son Justin. Today he turns 18 and this Fall will be off to college.

Eighteen years ago (Wow! Has it been that long?) I was sitting at my table in the early morning thinking another day was going to go by in a long summer in Ellendale, ND. I was going to start my Junior Year in Bible College in the Fall and my friends were gone home for a break so I was left to entertain myself for another day. Justin wasn't due for another two weeks so when my wife came in saying that she was in labor, well it was a surprise. By the end of the day Justin Thomas Raby was born. At the time the whole Justice Clarence Thomas vs. Anita Hill thing was going on. I didn't like the name Clarence, but I thought Justice Thomas has a nice ring to it. Justice turns to Justin and you have a cool name. With the Thomas, I also gave one of my children a Biblical name, he is the only one.

Justin is my middle child and a great athlete as well as my most imaginative child. Some would say reckless but I say that Justin's push the edge attitude may serve him well in his life once he learns to harness it. He is also funny and friendly.

Justin moved out of the house soon after graduation and I miss him. 1) Besides the dog, I now am left as the only male in a house dominated by three females. 2) He is the only one of my children that shares a common interest with me in sci-fi and fantasy fiction. 3) He is also the only one in the house I can talk video games with. 4) I have loved watching him grow up and now I feel like I am missing part of something important to me -- his life.

Happy Birthday Justin -- God Bless You and Keep You All of Your Days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment