Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Engaging God's Problem -- Agreements with Chapter Nine

On to the last chapter of Bart Ehrman's book God's Problem. This chapter is a wrap up chapter entitled Suffering: The Conclusion. In this chapter, Bart is trying to get make his final arguments and wrap things up. I do have some agreements with him but they are very few because I believe that both his premises and conclusions for his argument are very flawed:

1. Suffering is everywhere, but once again does this disprove the God of the Bible existence? I don't think so, just prove suffering exists. The 'why' in relationship to God is still a question.

2. I too think the Greater Good defense for evil is a bunch of garbage.

3. One of the Biblical Views of suffering is that 'it is' so deal with it.

That's all -- told you it was short. Trust me the next post will be longer.

Next: Disagreements with Chapter Nine

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I agree with you on point #2. Suffering often brings people to Christ. Could we even have the number of saved people we do without evil being done to them in some manner? I don't think so, people tend to look to God when trouble rears and rely on self when all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,

    The Greater Good Defense for the problem of evil is about the beginning, that is somehow God wanted to have sin and evil in the world to bring about a greater good. I short saying that God needs sin and evil to do this. Nonsense I say.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete