Sunday, July 5, 2009

Engaging God's Problem -- Agreements with Chapter Two

This week I really want to make headway on Bart Ehrman's God's Problem so prepare yourself for six posts in a row.

I do have many agreements with chapter 2 -- Sinner's in the Hands of an Angry God

1. I agree that some suffering is caused by God -- not all mind you but there is an indication that God causes disaster and the suffering and death that may be associated with it. Some Christians have a dualism that says God only good things and the devil bad -- this is not what the Bible says.

2. I agree that most Christians do not understand or respect the fact that prophets in the old testament were speaking primarily to their own times. Many people, particularly my evangelical brethren, like to see "US" in the prophets and that in probably in many cases not truth. The fact is much interpretation of prophetic Scriptures by current Christians is in deed egotistical. That is, it is me and my generation centered. I think it stems from a very poor and western understanding of prophecy as a kind of long term crystal ball -- problem -- these interpretations are often very wrong.

3. There is a large school of thought in Scripture that suffering is a result of God's punishment. Sin and you will be punished and judgment will fall.

Next: Disagreements with chapter 2

No comments:

Post a Comment