Thursday, July 9, 2009

Engaging God's Problem -- Agreements with Chapter Four

Chapter Four of God's Problem by Bart Ehrman is entitled "The Consequences of Sin". The focus is the biblical understanding that some suffering may not be the wrath of God but may simply be the consequences of sin. Some Agreements I have:

1. Bart says that the Bible shows life as it is not in an idealistic manner to this I agree. Because of this he states he believes that the Bible is a purely human book. One thing he misses is that the Bible does present things as are but God is in the way things are.

2. He states he has problems with God ordering the genocide of the Canaanites. I too have a problem with this but I think there is an explanation.

3. The passage about Herod's slaughter of the babies in Bethlehem to fulfill prophecy is a problem that too few Christians want to face. It is difficult to think of God this way.

4. Other problems Bart has are -- David and Uriah -- David gets away with it but his infant son dies. Solomon's use of forced labor.

5. I too have a problem with the false belief that God only brings good things, that is not the Bible presentation of God.

6. He has a problem with God foreordaining sin and suffering an so do I, but I changed my theology not my faith.

7. He states that freewill is a practical solution many problems.

8. Modern answers to these problems by theologians are unsatisfying and suffering does indeed require a living response.

Next: Disagreements with Chapter Four

2 comments:

  1. He really said that "David got away with it"? Are you sure he read the whole story? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what he said. I know, I know but that's what he said.

    ReplyDelete