Monday, July 27, 2009

The Bible and Tattoos

OK, this post is the result of about two hundred people (well maybe only five) that have asked me about this subject and well I suppose i should give a response

The problem is -- the Bible does actually say some thing about this directly.

Leviticus 19:28: You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

The issue in context (Leviticus 19) is that God did not want his people to be acting in any way like the pagans around him. It is a good principle and maybe we should take it to heart but then again I have been a Christian Headbanger for years and I remember that in the 70's and 80's Christian Rock as a major dividing line in the church. Tattoos and Cutting were part of pagan rites in the time of Moses and God didn't want any element of it in his people's worship of Him.

The problem is that things changed in Acts 15 because of the Gentiles -- As a Gentile Christian believer I have not entered into the Jewish covenant but the New Covenant with Christ -- Paul recognized this and thus Acts 15 -- The rules that come out are designed to keep Gentiles out of pagan worship but also faithful to Christ.

How does this relate to Tattoos -- well I love the Word and the Word includes Leviticus 19:28. I have made a choice to honor it because it was God's desire for his people not to do this -- there is something to this. Maybe however you are freer in Christ than me and I will allow that it is possible that this is a matter of conscience for Gentiles. Here are some things to consider.

1. Tattoos are permanent, well you can get them removed but it is a long painful process. Putting 'Bob loves Sally' on your arm may seem great until Sally decides she doesn't want to be with Bob anymore and until marriage there is really no way to get such a thing and know for sure your committed -- do not fool yourself. If your going to put anything on your body you better be sure that it is something you you can live with the rest of your life -- think hard on this. The fact is for myself is that the only tattoos I have ever considered getting were ones involving my faith, my earthly father or my wife.

2. Bodies change and yours will too. If you get a strawberry by your naval as a young female remember that when you get married and start popping out kids that strawberry is going to turn into an entire field of them. If it is something that will change its look as that part of your body changes -- be ready to live with it.

3. Tattoos fade and don't look as good as you get older. In fact, as a personal opinion, tattoos look ugly on old people -- If you are cool with it go ahead.

4. Note that in many Christian circles you will not be accepted and you will be attacked in many ways. If that kind of grief is something you do not want -- Don't get a tattoo. Don't get one out of rebellion either.

5. Here is something personal with me and God -- I like the way God created me and I don't see any need to improve the look of my skin in the sense of drawing on it in permanent ink. I think God made all of us the right color, gender and shape. I exercise to stay fit and look better but I don't feel this need to follow culture in looking like them.

When considering a tattoo as a Christian think hard about it.

4 comments:

  1. Not always, but often times I think tattoos are just another way for people trying to find fulfillment in all the wrong ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be. You may have a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad I have a very strong opionions on tatoos. 1. I am glad that you pointed out that the verse in Leviticus was in context talking about what pagens used were tatoos for their worship.
    2. I think getting meaningless tatoos make no sense what so ever
    3. However I don't think it is a sin to put a meaningful tatoo on your body. What is wrong with someone expressing their faith or love for someone dear to them.
    4. I am tired of hearing all those old time Christians say tatoos are a sin. This is again another example of certain Christians unwilling to adapt to culture changes. The way I see it is as long as the tatoo caries a appropriate meaning and doesn't prevent you from serving the lord then there is no problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for putting this up cause I was planing on asking you about this very question, because I have always wanted a tattoo cause of were I have came from with Christ and thought they were cool! but one day when praying I had asked god about this and heard that "I made you how you are for a reason" so from then on it has not been a hard choice its a no for me!!! thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete