Sunday, July 26, 2009

At the Computer, All Alone in the Middle of the Night

A week ago I switched from first shift to third shift at my retail job (OK, the Big Secret is I work for Wal-Mart -- long live capitalism -- part of my livelihood depends on it). For ministry this has a couple of advantages:

1. No more missing days of ministry work for retail work. Funerals, weddings, meetings, services, small groups of all kinds, etc. I can be awake when I need to and sleep the other times although I try to sleep from 8am to 2 pm most days because it gives me a good pattern. But if needed I can break pattern and attend something as a good pastor and I want to be a good pastor.

2. The other is that I have been longing for a quiet time to write more -- guess what? It is really quiet at night on my 'days' off when I still stay awake to keep a good sleep pattern. My computer is the living room and most days the TV is on from 8am till 11pm because of a retired mother and all the other people in the house in the evening -- not conducive to good writing. Right now at 3:40 am -- the sound of the keys tapping is my only company along with the breathing of my sleeping dog.

Symbolically this post is in celebration of being at the computer, all alone in the middle of the night.

Blessings

1 comment: