Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Theology of Vision

Without a vision, the people are unrestrained and perish. -- Proverbs 29:18 (Pastor Ed's conglomeration).

Vision is about hearing from God what one's direction should be. The direct application of this is personal vision but it could be applied anywhere. Solomon also presented the idea of having too many dreams or vision as being empty (Ecclesiastes 5:7). Vision must be focused on a few things not many.

For myself, I set my personal vision one day in 1993 after I graduated from college. I sat down and wrote three things down.
1. Be the pastor of the best church in the world -- Best not meaning biggest, but one that follows the Word in all things.
2. Be a well known published Christian author of both non-fiction and fiction books.
3. To retire to being a professor in a College or University to pass on my knowledge to the next generation.

So far, no dice on any of them, but I have made progress on getting closer to each one. But without this vision I would not try to do anything and my efforts would not be focused. This vision has often kept me going, even when things got very difficult.

For churches, vision is important. It focuses the resources of the church toward the direction of building the kingdom of God. Many churches do just 'whatever' and wonder why they get nowhere. There must be a focus to evangelize, worship and disciple or there is no point to a church.

Have a vision for yourself and be a part of the vision of your church. You will be much more effective for God and His kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment