Sunday, February 28, 2010

Science Fiction and Theology -- Part 6 -- Space Travel


I know this is hard to believe but my daughter picks on me. In specific she pick on me because of an app game I play on Facebook called Starfleet Commander. I play this one along with its twin sister Starfleet Commander Extreme. I am accused of being a nerd. It is just the thought of space travel has always fascinated me.

Not to mention theological issues abound.
1. Colonization of other worlds would change the way the Bible is interpreted. Particularly Revelation where current thought is earth centric.
2. Depending on the type of space travel -- issues abound as people are separated by distance. Relativity and all that. But even more puzzling is that realistic space travel you are dealing with cold sleep. This means either unmarried people or entire families would have to agree to travel together. (More on this later) The social issues of marriage come into play. Particularly if you get a separation due to travel that has no hope of returning to each other.
3. The vastness of space -- The universe is a HUGE place. I wonder what thoughts we would have about God actually travelling through the vastness of the universe?

Next:Cryo Sleep

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete