Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Facebook vs. Breastfeeding Mothers -- What's The Biblical Response?


I don't know how many people are aware of it but right now there is a heated battle going on between breastfeeding mothers and Facebook. Now, I have written on the topic of what nakedness is at length and this is one of those practical issues involving the subject. Back then I came to understanding of Biblical reality that basically said that nakedness is spiritual and that if Christians were going to try to make a Biblical case against a woman exposing her breasts in public from Scripture they would find it nearly impossible to do. There is no verse of Scripture that says that women's breasts are in and of themselves either sexual or a temptation to sin. Quite the opposite exists where women's breasts are either praised for their motherly role in nurturing children or for their beauty (Song of Solomon). Biblically there is no case to be made. In fact, you might say that the Bible is very positive about the use of the female breast to feed children and blesses it.

So what to do about mothers who want to post pictures of themselves breastfeeding their children? Biblically, there is no case against this and oddly enough maybe a case for saying this is good and wholesome. Church culture will of course disagree thinking that the morality they have created outside the Bible is still right.

Facebook has however done some stupid things on this. Above is a photo of a breastfeeding mother that was banned. At the same time here is a photo they cleared:

Now could someone tell me which of these two photos is more sensual? Shows more breast?
Another thing is that whoever is deleting these photos must be just pushing buttons at random sometimes. Another banned photo:

Even More Funny is this one:

So now great art work is to be banned because it has a breast in it and even female pigs are subject to being banned for showing their breasts?

Why do I mention this? Because this may be the issue that brings this whole thing national. If these women succeed in their petition and possible court cases as getting this defined as sexist and discriminatory that will of course pave the way for women should have the right to go topless, or topfree if you prefer, for the purpose of nurturing children or otherwise, simply because you cannot make a legal discrimination between the nipple of a man and a woman.

Organizations like TERA the Topfree Equal Rights Association make it crystal clear that to them this is not about religion but about equality under the law. There is also a statement that they do not believe the Bible says a woman should not expose their breasts -- they are right.

This fight is going to get ugly but in the end I believe that the law and the Bible may be on their side. IMHO

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! As a Bible-believing, breastfeeding mother, I have been struggling with what, exactly, is the appropriate way to feed my child the way God designed me to do. Do I have to hide completely? Do I just need to cover as much of my breast as possible? Are the mere sounds of my child suckling disruptive enough to leave the room/sanctuary? If I have to hide every time I nurse my baby, how will I ever get anything done? How did faithful women of the Bible nurse? I still have some of these questions, but your post has been helpful to my sanity while I figure out (along with my husband) what is the best way to feed our babe. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome, culture still can be a problem but if your anxious about the Bible and whether or not this is a sin -- forget it. Nothing is said there.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete