Monday, January 18, 2010

Babylon 5, An Introspective Moment


I have always been a fan of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Christians have a tendency to overreact to such things thinking them attacks on their faith or wastes of time. In my understanding of God there has sometimes been no greater spur to my imaginations and thoughts about God than someone who has decided to create his own world or imagined what it would be like to fly to the stars.

One of my favorites in past years, over a decade ago was a series called Babylon 5 which spanned five seasons encompassing many characters both human and alien it dealt with more subjects that than can be reasonably covered in this post but every science fiction genre and idea was touched along with so many social issues including theology and philosophy as well.

For me personally, I originally watched this series on cable recently having returned from Seminary and I was still dealing with my fathers death. One of the few joys I had in those dark years for me was Babylon 5. Even when the series had its final season I still loved the story and watched reruns every time they were on. The final season was particularly hard to watch not because it was not good but because of the finality of it all. Every major character either faded out over the last few episodes or left entirely.

I have always been drawn to good characters particularly side characters just off the main path. For me three characters were my favorites G'Kar (the alien Narn played by Andreas Katsulas) Micheal Garibaldi (played by Jerry Doyle -- he has a book out now) and Londo Mollari (the human like alien Centauri destined to become Emperor played by Peter Jurasik). Between the interplay between G'Kar and Londo and Garibaldi's struggles throughout all five seasons it made for a great story. Londo was always a fascinating character and one of my favorite quotes comes from him. "When I first arrived on Babylon 5 I had no power and all the choices in the world, Now I have absolute power and no choice at all" He is speaking of the fact that as he became Emperor he had to wilfully slave himself to another alien race to save his people. Kind of a Messiah figure only slightly different.

This morning I finished the last episode of the final season. Even after all these years the goodbyes and endings still make a person a little sad. All things end and even the memory of them fades away but for me it was something that got me through a trying time in my life. Babylon 5 -- still a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment