Sunday, October 18, 2009

What It Means to Be a Congregationalist.

I suppose some people have passed by a congregational church and wondered what that is about -- I mean what in the world is a congregational church in the first place. Well in short it has nothing to do with doctrine and everything to do with government. In a Congregational church the congregation rules. The Council in many way has the ultimate power and they are elected by the congregation. The pastor's role is clearly defined as spiritual and in the end he can overruled. Risky but worth it -- It truly demonstrates a balance of responsibilities and power.

Having looked at my church for over a year now I can tell you I like the concept. The issue is to be independent but at the same time respectful of other people's beliefs

As an example, when Hersey Congregational Church was founded, eight people met that represented five different denominations including, as I remember,: Baptist, Free Methodist, Presbyterian and Episcopal. They founded the church in 1870 and next year the church will celebrate its 140th year.

Some years ago, my church demonstrated it independence by leaving the UCC and becoming non-denominational. The congregation disliked how the United Church of Christ was embracing homosexuality as acceptable and they voted themselves out.

Respect is something that requires a little work. Like the original congregation of eight, I have varied theological and doctrinal opinions sitting in front of me when I preach and I think that is why the doctrinal statement is so short. Respect means to be able to disagree and yet walk out brothers and sisters in Christ who love one another. Dialogue becomes key.

Every council meeting I am reminded of this fact. Dialogue is in abundance and opinions are varied on every issue. It is actually rare to get immediate consensus but when the discussion ends we usually have some sort of decision that all can at least in some measure support. Because of this what we do is often limited in scope but powerful because everyone is behind it.

Independence and respect -- I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment