Sunday, October 11, 2009

Ministry and Technology

Today I am reminded how very much I have become dependent on technology to do ministry. Not so much in my church -- In need the copier and a folding machine -- both of which are old technologies. It is the other parts of ministry where I have become very dependent on technology for communication. Today my Internet was down and it was a frustrating moment because some of my communication and ministry depends on e-mail. E-mail, cell phones and the Internet dominate my time and energy because they have become necessary to do ministry in the modern western world. Or have they?

One of the things I have started at my church is a prayer fellowship group. It has a simple accountability question that is asked every week, then a devotional for a brief discussion and then we pray together -- very low, non-tech. It works and is very loved by those who attend.

Technology has also brought with a multitude of problems -- Internet garbage of whatever type has caused a lot of ruckus but then again we have lived in a bubble in the Christian church until the last 20 years or so. The fact is these beliefs have and practices have always existed but now are more visible. I don't think we can stop it anymore -- it is simply a matter of responding effectively.

I still try to minister the only truly effective way -- by personal touch. Technology aside people still respond better to simply being treated as valued human being and that is true at all times no matter where technology may take us.

No comments:

Post a Comment